Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 11 - Walk on the Wild Side






The morning shone us some bright blue sky weather. What a relief to see the sun! Rocky had planned an adventurous day together, then we got the phone call. He would be unable to tour us around the region, but suggested I visit him anyways for more information. Dennis felt worse than the day before, and took this day to rest and recover. He had a sore throat and fever.

I went back to the fishing center, and Rocky showed me a map, some brochures and shared plenty of information. I decided to go see some waterfalls and enjoy a job though the hills! I drove my scooter alone, through the windy roads. It was at this moment I felt free. Here I was, alone, going 70km through the mountains of Japan. Freedom was at my feet and a wave of happiness took over my body.

I reached a small town in the north called Osaka, much like the big city's name. I turned right and followed a river into the mountains. When I arrived, there was a big parking spot. I paid 100Yen for parking and had a three hour run/hike around. In 6km of walking, I saw 6 waterfalls. And apparently, in this area, there are as many as 100 waterfalls. The 6th one I saw was the best, and hardest walk of all. Along the way, I spotted a snake with a red ring around its neck. I also met a toad, that was aggressive towards me when I got closer. I didn't return until late, about 5:30pm. Rocky has plans of bringing tourists here. I agree, it is a good idea, the place is beautiful. It was different being alone, in the woods, but I didn't mind one bit.

You know, everyone says Japan is crowded, and it is, but, I know from experience, there is a lot of nature to be seen and beautiful countryside. You'll like it more than the cities, so I suggest while in Japan, get out there and discover it for yourself!

Before returning home, I stopped and bought some cake from our new friend's cafe. It all looked so good, I chose 6 different cakes to share with everyone.

When I got back, Ikumi was gone. She was busy making dough and baking some bread. As for Rocky, we invited me to a fourth and final soak in the hot srings. Rocky gave us a coupon each time we went, and entered for only 100Yen each time. After, we cooked some dinner and had a nice chat. Dennis was still feeling under the weather, so we let him be.

No comments:

Post a Comment